SADDLEBROOKE TENNIS CLUB
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2005
TREASURER’S REPORT – Treasurer, Dave Feder, stated that all financials can be found on the STC website. As of October 31st, there is $18,233.19 in the treasury which means we are $10.00 ahead of last year. There are presently 522 members of which 286 are male and 236 are female.
2006 STC Board – The voting process will continue through the first fifteen minutes of this meeting, votes will be tabulated and the results announced at that time.
Lottery Revision to Signups – Dick Partridge described the new signup procedure that will take effect on January 1st. The regular sign up procedure for Wednesday will stay in place but for M,T,Th,F and Saturday, when the Tennis Center closes those days, there will be a two hour window to call in for courts. It will not be first call, first served, but rather in a lottery fashion. If there are still available courts after the lottery, a member may still attain courts.
El Con Women’s Professional Tennis Tournament – Marje Valenti showed everyone the flyer that she will post at the Tennis Center introducing the SAZ/ Hilton Women’s $75,000 Professional Event scheduled November 13 – 20th with ticket prices of $10 per day and a $50 week pass.
SaddleBrooke Team Tennis (STT)- Jim Fabio explained Greg Hlushko’s new play system to encourage intraclub play. This team league within SaddleBrooke would allow players at all skill levels to participate. Leagues would consist of Women’s and Men’s Doubles. There would be a draft pool in order to equalize the strength of teams. The format is intended to promote friendships and interactions. Sign up sheets are posted at the Tennis Center through December 15th with the proposed starting date of play in January.
2006 STC Dues – The Board had approved the recommendation of continuing the annual dues of $60 for 2006. Discussion included Steve Watry’s opinion that a certain portion of dues should be placed in a Capital Fund for capital expenditures. The motion to approve the Board’s recommendation of 2006 annual dues of $60 per member passed.
STC Meeting Rooms – President Farrell reminded members that only sanctioned STC meeting rooms may be reserved in the STC name. It seems that there have been some room reservations made incorrectly under the STC name.
Ladies Super Senior 3.0 and 3.5 National Champions – President Farrell announced that Robson has notified him that there will be a major article in the their next brochure…two championship teams from one community in one year.
Charity Event – Diane Ray reported that the Charity Event had been a success and raised more than $20,000 for Youth On Their Own. The Silent Auction, alone, raised almost $4,500. She thanked Steve Watry, the Event Coordinating Chair, for his work.
HOA#1 – Chairman, Bob Rutstein. No report.
HOA#2 - Chairman, Joel Weiner. No report.
Orientation – Chairman, Kathy Ramaker, commented that there were ten new members in October and membership is picking up.
Tops - Vice President, Dick Partridge, informed us that Allan Grodsky is the chairman and that he is completing his formation of the committee. Dick read the directives that the Board have given to this committee to help provide the membership with a compatible and fun organized play system:
1. Determine what does and does not need to be fixed with the current system of play. Seek input from the various levels and genders.
2. Develop a system for movement up and down within social play categories realizing there are those who are not interested in any score keeping system.
3. Develop a plan for placing new STC members into the play categories.
4. If a need is determined that requires different proposals for men’s and women’s organized play, don’t feel you are required to submit only one proposal. However, what is submitted should be proposed by the entire committee.
5. Submit recommendations on the the above by the January 2006 STC Board Meeting at the earliest but, no later than the February 2006 Board Meeting.
6. Allow 30 days between the presentation to the Board and a membership vote on the proposal during which time informational meetings are to be held to explain the proposal. The General Membership vote will be no later than the March 2006 STC meeting and, if approved, the committee will help with immediate implementation.
7. Upon completion of the above, meet to discuss any further issues the committee sees as necessary to improve the Tennis Organized Play System.
Bylaws – Bylaws Committee chairman, Steve Leane, and Vice President, Dick Partridge, jointly presented the proposed bylaws revisions in their entirety. Each Article and its Sections were read, explained and then a discussion occurred on each. Membership entered into the discussion in an orderly fashion and all followed according to the Robert’s Rules of Order. Various motions were raised and then voted upon and then each Article acceptance or rejection were voted upon. Upon completion of acceptance of all fifteen Articles and their individual Sections, a motion to approve the Bylaws as documentation in its entirety as proposed and amended was raised, seconded and approved by the General Membership present. The approved and amended STC Bylaws will be posted on the STC website and at the Tennis Center for all members to digest.
President: Dick Partridge
V. President: Tom Larkin
Secretary: Marje Valenti
Treasurer: Riley Jackson
Dir. At Large: Connie Kacer
Consideration of Dues Refunding – A member raised the issue that due to serious medical conditions/injuries, there should be a consideration of refund of dues on a prorated basis. This consideration will be addressed by the new Board.
Meeting adjourned at 5 pm.
Respectfully submitted Marje Valenti, STC Secretary