SADDLEBROOKE TENNIS CLUB BOARD MEETING MINUTES

FRIDAY, MARCH 9, 2007

 

 

CALL TO ORDER:  STC President, Connie Kacer, called the meeting to order at 2:00 PM.  Board Directors present were President: Connie Kacer, Vice President: Bob Rutstein, Secretary: Don Stull, Treasurer: Riley Jackson, and Director at Large: Karen Gray. 

 

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS: 

 

An audit report has been submitted by Jerry Sandvig.  Highlights will be presented at the next membership meeting if we have a quorum.   (See attachment to these minutes.)

 

 

READING AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES:  Secretary Stull stated the minutes for the Board meeting on February 7th had been posted on the STC website, and the Tennis Center with no requests for changes.  The minutes were approved.

 

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Treasurer Riley Jackson reports $52,235.85 in savings; $2306.32 in checking for a total of $54,542.17.  Current members are 491 including 23 associate members

 

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS: 

 

 HOA #1 Tennis Committee—Bob Rutstein.  Court five has been repaired and waiting for a letter from the manufacturer on how they will handle the remaining problems areas.

 

Steve Watry reported that the HOA-2 Tennis Committee is requesting joint meetings with the HOA-1 Tennis Committee to deal with all requests for Registered Group Programs. 

 

Capital Expenditures---Steve Watry:

 

*   Part time Tennis Pro:  So far only one response (from Terry Gibson) to request for proposals.  The Capital Expenditures Committee will submit some suggested interview questions to the Board which they may use or not as they see fit.

 

*  Patio tables and chairs have been donated to the MV and DV tennis sites from the Mesquite Grill. 

 

*  Clocks:  One large clock has been installed at the Preserve and a second clock has been ordered for DV at a cost of $94.99. 

 

*  Two bulletin boards have been delivered to Tim Fudge (Maintenance Manager at HOA-2) and his crew will be installing them at DV and the Preserve.

 

*  There will be an emergency phone available at both the DV and Preserve tennis sites.  There are still ongoing discussions with the Facilities Committee concerning placement of AEDs.  The issues are how many people are trained in use of the device and security of the devices after hours.

 

*  When the concrete work is done for the canopy at DV, the contractor will be asked to provide concrete paving to access courts 14-15.  The CEC is also working with HOA-2 on providing concrete pavers from the cart path to the Preserve courts.

 

The CEC will be soliciting ideas for new projects.  Availability of funds will probably limit what can be done now and what may need to be postponed for later.

 

Computer Committee---Al Kacer (presented by Connie Kacer) The CC is working with John Holmes on computer program upgrades.  A designated phone line has been procured for the TC.  The STC is now independent of HOA-1’s computer network and therefore we will need to set up our own computer backup system.  (See attached report from Chair Kacer to the BOD.)

 

Social Committee—Kathy Majer.  Bonnie Johnson and Kathy Majer are co-chairs.  Planning patio celebrations each Saturday after each Club Championship event.  Drinks, decorations and music will be provided.  There will be a sign up for members to bring a food item to share.  Participants in the CC events will each get a Hawaiian-type lei.   

 

In regard to the New Year’s Eve party, the Roadrunner Grill is not available this year.   HOA-1 says they do not have the staffing to handle both the event in their main dining area and the Roadrunner Grill event.  HOA-2 says they are also booked solid.  Kathy is going check on the Activity Center at HOA-1 to see if we could use it for a pot-luck type event.

 

Some SaddleBrooke tee shirts are available at the TC for sale – proceeds go to the STC Charity Committee.

 

 

Tournament Committee—Carol Eisenbraun.  Carol reports 72 teams have signed up for doubles (32 M, 19 W, 21 mixed).  Most are in the A, B+, B, C+ categories, with no D’s and a few C’s.  Some singles players are starting to apply.  Draw will be posted on the STC website and at the TC.  Awards will be presented on the final day of each event.    

 

 

Robson Cup—Carol Eisenbraun & Steve Leane.  For future years, we would need 24 courts in order to host here.  A two day event is a possibility.

 

 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

 

Membership Dues Refund Decision – The Board discussed whether or not to refund dues to an individual who paid dues and then soon after developed a serious health condition which made playing tennis impossible.  There is nothing in the by-laws concerning this issue.   Research revealed this topic was discussed in a November 2005 membership meeting, but a decision was left up to the 2006 Board.  In April of 2006, that Board decided they would not allow refunds.  After some discussion the Board decided to refund the full amount of dues to this individual since he was not able to play at all and to consider any future requests on a case-by-case basis.  The decision was unanimous.

 

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

*  TC printer purchase—action item.  There have been several problems with the current printer.  Per the Computer Committee Chair’s request, the Board voted to allow the purchase of a new printer as needed based upon the best judgment of the Computer Committee Chair.

 

*  The contract for the PT Tennis Pro developed with HOA-1 was voted on.  It was approved unanimously as currently written, subject to any changes which might result from negotiation with the selected pro.    

 

*  DV canopy installation—action item.  Steve Watry provided the following information:  The contract is for $11,000 for the canopy.  (The concrete work for the base is an additional $3,000 and is a separate contract.)  The vendor SunPorts will absorb any sales tax.  The courts will need to be closed 1-2 days for the installation.  SunPorts requires half up front with the remainder due upon completion and acceptance by HOA-2.  A motion was made and passed unanimously to approve the contract with SunPorts.

 

*  Amend Article IX, Section 2 of the STC Bylaws—vote on submitting a

recommendation to Bylaws Committee.  This proposal is to eliminate regular membership meetings in February, May, and September.  Special meetings could still be called for by the Board of Directors if pressing business requires a vote of the membership.  The proposal was approved by the Board unanimously.  The By-laws Committee will consider the proposal and report back to the Board with their analysis and recommendation.

 

 *  Eliminate Article XI and amend Article IV, Section 7of the STC Bylaws—vote on submitting a recommendation to Bylaw Committee.  Bob Rutstein proposed eliminating Roberts Rules of Order from the By-laws in order to provide the BOD with more flexibility - particularly in regard to voting procedures, such as electronic voting, absentee voting, etc.  Discussion centered on the need for the structure of RRO.  Also, according to the STC Parliamentarian, Steve Leane, the Board could develop voting procedures different than what is in RRO.  The Board decided not to ask the By-laws Committee to address elimination of RRO, but to respond to the BOD with analysis and recommendations regarding expanding member voting through absentee ballots, electronic voting, etc.    

 

*  Discuss self rating.  Connie Kacer has received several e-mails with suggestions on how to improve self ratings, such as:  1) look at your success at a given level, e.g., number of sets won/lost; 2) have members evaluate others in their level regarding whether or not they belong there; 3) let the pro evaluate and give feedback; 4) provide descriptions for each level.  It was decided to survey the members’ level of satisfaction with the current system before considering any modifications.  Don Stull and Karen Gray will develop the survey. 

 

*  Spring or summer social.  Karen Gray is working on a spring or summer social which will involve mixed doubles play using the combined ratings concept.

 

*  Recruiting of volunteers for testing of TennisDoubles/Gamss scoring component.  It was decided that a simulation using made up scores would be much quicker and efficient than trying to recruit 12 volunteers to play 10 matches amongst themselves over a period of time.  Evaluation of John Holmes scoring component will not be affected.   

 

*  The Board discussed a members’ request to remove wind screens from the gates at SB courts so that spectators have a better view of the matches.  The majority of the Board felt this would be a reasonable compromise between shielding players from distractions and allowing greater audience viewing.  The vote was 4-1.

 

The Board decided to keep extended Tennis Center hours through March to facilitate the playing of the Club Championships. 

 

Bob Rutstein pointed out that Tom Larkin did a great job on dealing with court problems at SaddleBrooke.  Also, the new/returning tennis player orientation Linda DePew conducted recently was top notch.  

 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 4:15 PM.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Don Stull, STC Secretary




 

 

 

COMPUTER COMMITTEE REPORT DATED MARCH 9TH, 2007

 

SUBMITTED IN WRITING AND VIA E-MAIL FOR THE MARCH 9TH, STC BOARD MEETING.

 

MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE ARE ALLEN KACER, BILL LUNDQUIST AND RAY KUMP.

 

COMMITTEE MEMBERS MET WITH THE SOFTWARE CONTRACTOR TO DISCUSS OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE PROJECT AND ANY SUPPORT WE COULD PROVIDE.

 

1. SINCE THE INITIAL FEASIBILITY STUDY HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE STC AND IS CURRENTLY IN PROCESS, THERE SHOULD BE NO ADDITIONAL STC ACTION UNTIL THE CONTRACTOR AND HIS TEAM SUBMIT THE FEASIBILITY STUDY REPORT TO THE COMMITTEE AND THE STC BOARD.

2. COMMITTEE MEMBERS WILL IMMEDIATELY UNDERTAKE A REVIEW OF THE CURRENT COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEM, SOFTWARE CURRENTLY LOADED ON THE COMPUTER AND AVAILABILITY OF SOFTWARE BACKUP AND INSTALL DISKS.

THE COMMITTEE WILL WORK WITH THE CONTRACTOR TO DETERMINE WHAT MODIFICATIONS, IF ANY, WILL BE NEEDED. WE EXPECT THIS TO TAKE TWO TO THREE WEEKS.

3. THE COMMITTEE REQUESTS THAT DURING THIS PERIOD THAT NOONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO ADD OR DELETE SOFTWARE OR DATA OTHER THAN IS NORMALLY ENTERED BY COORDINATORS DURING THEIR NORMAL FUNCTIONING. IF EMERGENCY ACTION IS REQUIRED, THE STC BOARD SHOULD HAVE ADVANCE KNOWLEDGE AND INFORM THE COMMITTEE. THIS WILL ALLOW STABILIZATION OF THE COMPUTER ENVIRONMENT.

 

THE COMPUTER COMMITTEE HAS ASSISTED WITH RESOLVING THE RECURRENT PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH REMOTE LINK USED FOR COMPUTER ACCESS TO THE INTERNET AND DIRECT LINK TO THE HOA#1 COMPUTER NETWORK. THE TENNIS CENTER KNOW HAS DIRECT QWEST HIGHSPEED LINE TO THE INTERNET AND THIS HAS BEEN TESTED. UNNECESSARY HARDWARE AND TELEPHONE HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED AND THE HOA HAS BEEN ASKED TO REMOVE SAME.

 

BECAUSE THE STC IS NOW SELF SUFFICIENT, IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT WE CONSIDER A BACKUP PROCEDURE SAFEGUARDING THE COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND DATA. THE COMMITTEE AND THE CONTRACTOR WILL BE PROVIDING A RECOMMENDATION FOR ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE AND EXTERNAL HARDWARE. THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED A MAJOR EXPENSE (LESS THEN $1,000).

 

WE HAVE DETERMINED THAT THERE ARE CURRENTLY 2 PIECES OF EQUIPMENT THAT MAY BE REDUNDANT. A VERY OLD PRINTER THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE COMPUTER AND A NEWER ALL-IN-ONE COPIER, PRINTER, FAX, E-MAIL THAT IS STAND ALONE AND USED SOLELY A SLOW COPIER. EVALUATION IS UNDER WAY.